These matchbox gift boxes are the perfect way to introduce yourself or a friend to the fabulous world of SEEDBALL. Made from recycled cardboard they make wonderful as gifts or thankyou's and each box comes with a mini info card about how to use your balls.
- Wildflower Seed Mix - a mix of native wildflower seeds that bees will just love - all recommended as bee-friendly plants by the Bumblebee Conservation Trust
- 6 seedballs per matchbox, 30 seeds per ball
- Herb Seed Mix- all you need to grow your own collection of versatile cooking herbs. The perfect addition to your kitchen garden.
- 6 seedballs per matchbox, 100 seeds per ball
What's in the box?
Wildflower Seed Mix
- Birdsfoot trefoil
- Red clover
- Viper's bugloss
- Wild Marjoram
- Wild carrot.
- Corn marigold
- Night-flowering catchfly,
- 20 balls per tin, 30 seeds per ball.
Herb Seed Mix:
- Basil (Ocimum basilicum) Aromatic annual or biennial with bright green, elliptic leaves and small, tubular white or pink-tinged flowers
- Chives (Allium schoenoprasum) Allium are bulbous herbaceous perennials with a strong onion or garlic scent, linear, strap-shaped or cylindrical basal leaves and star-shaped or bell-shaped flowers in an umbel on a leafless stem
- Dill (Anethum graveolens) Its leaves are invaluable for cooking: its flowers for decorating salads and arranging, and its seeds for salads, baking and tagines.
- Parsley (Petroselinum crispum) Aromatic biennials with broad, pinnate to 3-pinnate leaves and compound umbels of small white or pale green flowers.
- Sweet Marjoram (Origanum majorana) Leaves and flowering sprigs are popular in Greek and Italian meat dishes, soups, stuffings, tomato sauces and pasta, where they are best used towards the end of the cooking process.
How to Use
- Simply scatter on top of soil in a garden bed or planter.
- Scatter in spring or autumn.
- Sprouts seen in 4-6 weeks.
- For more info, please refer to the FAQ page here and watch the video link below
What are Seedballs?
Seed balls are a great permaculture technique for growing seed in a more simple and effective way. Growing wildflowers from seed can be super challenging - they are slow to germinate and grow, and as a result are especially vulnerable to seed and seedling predators.
SEEDBALL's goal is to make it a bit easier for everyone to have gardens, balconies and window boxes that are bursting with native wildflowers, buzzing bees and beautiful butterflies
- Each seed ball contains a mini ecosystem: seeds are mixed with clay, peat-free compost and a smidgen of chilli powder, and rolled into a small ball.
- Each ball is approximately 1cm in diameter, making them super easy to scatter.
- The dried clay acts as a protective casing from common seed predators (such as ants, mice and birds).
- When sufficient rain permeates the clay, the seeds inside begin to germinate - helped along by the nutrients and minerals contained within the balls.
- The chilli powder continues to deter predators while the seed ball slowly degrades and the seeds sprout.
- Seed balls will work well in most environments (as long as the seed is well suited to the local climate and soil conditions) and they'll work as well in planting pots as in garden beds.
What is Seedball?
A ball made from seeds, clay, peat-free compost and chili powder.
Why use Seedball?
The ball prevents the seeds from being a tasty lunch for birds and insects, thereby increasing the chances of your flowers growing. Plus they're super easy to use, no digging and no expert knowledge needed!
What's in the tin?
There are 20 balls in each tin, and around 30 seeds per ball.
How do I grow Seedball?
Just throw onto soil or compost in a garden bed or planter. Your Seedball has everything it needs to grow and, once the ball becomes moist and the temperature is right, your seeds will germinate!
What area will my Seedball cover?
We would usually advise 20 seed balls per square metre, or 3-5 seed balls for a 35cm container.
Conservation: All seed is responsibly sourced in the UK from Flora Locale accredited suppliers, we only ever use peat-free compost and our steel tins are manufactured in London (with the help of a solar farm on the factory roof).
For more details please visit the Seedball website where they have lots more tips and info about all the wildflowers
We care about our world and we want to do everything we can to help more people grow wildflowers in the most sustainable way possible:
- All compost used is peat-free.
- All seed is Flora Locale accredited.
- Our tin packaging is manufactured by the last tin maker in London and powered with the help of a solar farm on the factory roof!
- Tin is also highly recyclable and reusable. In fact, if you send us your empty tin and a self-addressed and stamped envelope, we'll re-fill it for free!
- Our office balcony and window boxes are filled with wildflowers (from seed balls of course!).
- Our work space is completely powered by green electricity from Ecotricity
- We donate all seed ball miss-shapes to school or community projects.
- Seedball is a trading name of Project Maya, an eco-social enterprise working to build a global network of conservation and sustainability reserves.
- We were founded by conservation and sustainability scientists, so it's unsurprising that we're also supporting further research on seed balls!